The first ever Interprovincial Red Seal exams for the heavy equipment operator trades are anticipated to be available in Ontario in spring/summer 2016. Once released, individuals will be able to achieve a Red Seal Endorsement (RSE) on their Certificate of Qualification (C of Q) in the following three trades:
- Heavy equipment operator – dozer (636C)
- Heavy equipment operator – excavator (636B)
- Heavy equipment operator – tractor loader backhoe (636A)
The availability of the three heavy equipment operator Interprovincial Red Seal exams and their associated RSE is new across Canada.
The RSE is a professional designation that recognizes the knowledge, skills and experience of the journeyperson. The RSE signifies the standard of excellence of the Red Seal Program.
Once the Red Seal exams are implemented for the three heavy equipment operator trades, the provincial C of Q will no longer be available. At that time, all individuals interested in obtaining a C of Q will be required to write and pass the Interprovincial Red Seal exam.
Effectively immediately, and prior to the release of the Red Seal heavy equipment operator exams in Ontario, the following opportunities are available:
- Holders of a Certificate of Apprenticeship issued by the Ministry in any of the heavy equipment operator trades can apply to become a member of the College’s Journeypersons Class and be issued a provincial C of Q without passing a C of Q exam.
- Individuals who are approved through the College’s Trade Equivalency Assessment can apply to become a member of the College’s Journeypersons Class and be issued a provincial C of Q without passing a C of Q exam. To be eligible for the Trade Equivalency Assessment, 2,500 applicable trade hours are required.
Note: The introduction of the RSE does not impact the voluntary status of any of the heavy equipment operator trades; holding and maintaining a valid C of Q remains voluntary for these trades.
Should you have questions, please review our frequently asked questions document or contact the College’s Client Services Department toll-free at 1-855-299-0028 between Monday to Friday 7 a.m. – 7 p.m.