Changes to the Skilled Trades and Apprenticeship System
The Government of Ontario has proposed the Modernizing the Skilled Trades and Apprenticeship Act, 2019
which, if passed, would establish a new governance model for the skilled trades and apprenticeship system. This would be a Ministry-led delivery model with industry input in training programs and regulation. You can find the bill as Schedule 40 at this link
During the transition period the College will continue to deliver on its core services, including:
- Issuing or renewing certificates of qualification and other credentials,
- Verifying credentials on worksites for compulsory trades,
- Undertaking trade equivalency assessments, and,
- Supporting labour mobility through credential verification
College of Trades Fee Changes
Upon request of the Minister of Training, Colleges, and Universities, effective immediately, College of Trades annual membership fees have been reduced or eliminated to be:
- $0 for Apprentice class members
- $0 for Journeyperson Candidate class members
- $0 for Tradesperson class members
- $60 for the Journeypersons class
In order to implement the technical changes necessary to enable the change in fees the College has placed a temporary pause on membership fee collection. Effective Friday, April 12th, the College has temporarily ceased sending out invoices or accepting payments and will begin again at the new rate as soon as possible, but no later than July 5th 2019. Please note that fees at the new rate will be assessed for the period of the temporary pause and will be due after it ends. Fees paid prior to the rate change will be credited towards either OCOT membership fees or the future fee model, as appropriate.
We will provide additional information on when we will resume fee collection as soon as possible.