Anyone wishing to become a member of the College (or a current member who requires renewal) may apply for membership using the Membership Application Form.
Each application for membership in the College is reviewed by the Registrar, who may refuse an application for membership if:
- the applicant does not meet one or more registration requirements; or
- the Registrar has reasonable grounds to believe that past conduct or actions of the applicant suggest that he or she will not perform his or her duties in accordance with the law, which includes the Ontario College of Trades and Apprenticeship Act, 2009 (the Act), regulations under the Act, and the General By-law of the College.
In such cases, the applicant will receive a Notice of Proposal to Refuse Membership advising that he or she may, within 60 days, request a review of the Registrar’s proposal by the Registration Appeals Committee.
Registration Appeals Committee
The Registration Appeals Committee is responsible for reviewing appeals of a Registrar’s proposal to refuse membership (or a Registrar’s proposal to impose terms, conditions or limitations on membership) and is composed of members of the College’s governance structure, including its Board of Governors, Divisional Boards and/or Trade Boards. The Committee includes representatives from the four trade sectors, including employees and employers and members of the public.
Registration Appeals Process
- If the Registrar proposes to refuse membership (or impose terms, conditions or limitations on membership), the applicant will receive a Notice of Proposal to Refuse Membership (or Notice of Proposal to Impose Terms, Conditions or Limitations).
- The applicant may appeal the Registrar’s proposal to the Registration Appeals Committee by making a request in writing using the RAC-1 form within 60 days of receiving the notice.
- The Registration Appeals Committee, or a three-member Panel thereof, will conduct a review of the Registrar’s proposal.
- The Committee/Panel will make a decision approximately 4-6 weeks after receipt of a complete application.
Please note: Applicants are not entitled to make submissions in person to the Committee/Panel, however every applicant will have an opportunity to examine and make written submissions concerning any documents that the Committee/Panel intends to consider during its review.
If you have questions please do not hesitate to contact the College’s Client Services Department toll-free at 1-855-299-0028 between Monday to Friday 7 a.m. – 7 p.m.